Sunday, June 16, 2013

Jackson Meadows

Turning another day trip into a camping trip we went to Jackson Meadows Reservoir. Pretty basic Forest Service Campground, but the maps left out some things. They show one or two campgrounds but there is Fir Top, Woodlands, and Finley. Then there is Silver Top group camping 2ea and Woodlands picnic area and a boat ramp. It should be considered one campground but it good to know these names if reserving on line. The last couple of miles in is dirt, but easy. However south of the campground is rough 4X4 forest roads.


I love the Monte Carlo not recommended. Don't even try it. Since the '60's when the sign was made, swales were made to channel water, and they are big. Even where the road is good most 4X4s would high side on these.

Jackson Meadow camping was very civilized.




I brought my dirt bike to explore where the camper could not go. A 1983 Honda 200 is a bit of joke as dirt bikes go, but it did the job. I bought in new in 83 and it is good to still be using it. More of a mini bike or glorified trial 90. The rear fender with tail light broke off the first day.



I turned on the dog alarm for when I was gone.


First run was to Bowman Lake. Most people come up from Nevada City. Amazing how many people where there. Picture doesn't show how big the lake really is.


Then off to Faucherie Lake. This is very cool. Only one group campground here. Perfect place for a 4X4 Sportsmobile get together.


Then I made a run to Meadow Lake. I guess most people come in from 89 to this one. Check out this campsite right on the water!




We did our fair share of yachting. See the length of my oars. Give me a lever and I could move the world. I am totally spoiled and can never get in a kayak except for white water.


Pretty cool trip. I did not have any issues with camp gear or the Sportsmobile. I have only to find a rear fender for an obsolete motorcycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment