Monday, June 3, 2013

Tioga

Tioga is a small National Forest Service campground on Tioga lake, a couple of miles east of the entrance to Yosemite. The campground was probably engineered for tent camping only so a Class C is a tight fit. 


It was 90% Class B so the tecno rap about RV's was a little more interesting than our first trip to Twin Lakes where we were the only Camper Van.



Forest Service allows campgrounds on the lake, National Parks do not. We could walk our boats to the lake right from the picnic table. I also like the old geezer half off price!




So what did I trip over on our second trip? Much of this I will do nothing about, but one might think of before ordering a new one. The penthouse is much more interesting than I first thought. It is more spacious than the cab over I remember from my father's camper which we called the coffin. My thought was I wish there was a zipper to open up the back of the tent part. Then one could exit to the outside and down the ladder. A zippered opening in the front would allow me to put my dirty socks and other biohazzards outside on the top of the cab. I doubt I will do any of this, it is easier to put a clothe pin on the wife's nose.

I went to great effort to have a step for entry into the back, but this created more bumps on the head. With out the step one just goes in on one's knees and never cracks the cranium.

I have just one stupid marine battery that is not a true deep cycle, but that ran the DC fridge for 2 days and 8 hours of movie watching. It was down to 11.4 volts. Then I let the motor idle for half an hour and it seemed to be back up. This was better than I expected. The fridge is rated at 2.5 amps and the NAXA 19 inch is rated at 2.5 amps. My lights are all LED. I wish I had a good battery tester rather than just checking the resting voltage.

All my effort to put in a sink, grey water bucket and the Coleman hot water heater was wasted. The 5 gallon jug on the picnic table was much more popular.

Why is the fridge not on a thermostat? I have to turn it down at night and up in the day.

My Princess and the Pee test is always the most interesting. She finds the penthouse bed a bit too firm. I wonder what kind of space foam to put on top of it? She really likes the ride. We took 8 hours to come home, a 2 hour trip. We were good on dirt roads and it got a little sandy so I think the limited slip got some work out. Never have we had a car where she was so happy in the passenger seat. She never gets the long thin pantry thing closed properly. That should be the kind of latch that works when slammed. Now I have to always check it.

Anybody else tired of stepping on the dog? I feel like putting a dog house on wheels to trail around just so she is out of the way!



And one pic of the kayaking



Ellery from the air:


Saddle bag form the air:



No comments:

Post a Comment